Skip to main content
machinery at GEMCO

Located on an island in Australia's Gulf of Carpentaria, Groote Eylandt Mining Company (GEMCO), produces high-grade manganese ore.



Rowell Highway, Alyangula
Groote Eylandt, 0885
Northern Territory

Key statistics

3,545 KWMT

FY23 Manganese ore production


local procurement in FY22


FY23 investment in local communities

Our operations

Located on the island of Groote Eylandt, in the Gulf of Carpentaria in Australia’s Northern Territory, Groote Eylandt Mining Company (GEMCO) is an open-cut, strip-mining operation that produces high grade manganese ore.

Close to export markets in Asia, the GEMCO mine is one of the largest manganese ore producers in the world.

South32 owns 60 per cent of GEMCO, with the remaining 40 per cent held by Anglo American Plc.

Partnering with communities

Partnering with communities

Groote Eylandt is home to the Anindilyakwa people, who are the Traditional Owners of the land. We have aligned our community investments with the Traditional Owners, working to improve opportunities for local people.

Education is a priority for people on the island so we are partnering with the Graham Polly Farmer Foundation to support school-aged children on Groote Eylandt to improve their literacy and numeracy skills.

The health of local people is also a major concern with Groote Eylandt predicted to have some of the highest rates of people living with Machado Joseph Disease (MJD), a genetic, neurodegenerative disease.

We have supported the MJD Foundation to improve quality of life for Indigenous Australians living with the disease. This has included new equipment and services like physiotherapy delivered ‘On Country’, aimed at slowing the disease’s progression.

Our commodities




GEMCO is one of the world’s largest producers of high-grade manganese ore.

Manganese is a transition metal used in a wide range of industrial alloys.

The metal is commonly used to improve the quality and strength of steel in major infrastructure such as hospitals, office towers and bridges.

Southern Lease Mining Project

GEMCO is proposing to extend the life of its manganese mine on Groote Eylandt by developing the Southern Lease Mining Project.

Learn more
  • Steve Hedges

    Vice President, GEMCO

    With more than 40 years’ experience in the mining sector, Steve was appointed to the role of Vice President Operations (VPO) for GEMCO in 2022.

    Prior to this, Steve joined South32 in 2020 as the Project Director for the Eagle Downs Project and then as the Project Director for the Dendrobium Next Domain (DND) Project at Illawarra Metallurgical Coal (IMC). Steve has extensive background in leadership and management covering both open cut and underground operations, as well as a proven track record in all aspects of operations management.

    Prior to joining South32, Steve spent twelve years at Peabody in senior leadership operational roles across Queensland and New South Wales.


Rowell Highway Alyangula, Groote Eylandt NT 0885

Vinje Randall, External Affairs

Email: [email protected] Phone: 1800 870 766

GEMCO Document Library

Download important documents and publications relating to GEMCO.