Skip to main content
An aerial photo of the Alumar Aluminium Smelter in Brazil

Brazil Aluminium

The Brazil Aluminium operation was successfully restarted during FY22, with our share of the smelter powered by 100% renewable electricity.

Brazil Aluminium

Brazil Alumar Av.
3507 Anjo da Guarda
São Luís MA, 65095-603
+55 21 3094-3350

Key statistics

68.9 kt

FY23 aluminium production


South32 share

Our operations

The Brazil Aluminium smelter is located in São Luís in the state of Maranhão, Brazil. The smelter produces aluminium from alumina supplied by the co-located Alumar alumina refinery.

South32 holds a 40 per cent share in Brazil Aluminium, with Alcoa Corporation holding the remaining 60 per cent.

Our share of production from the Brazil Aluminium smelter is powered by 100 per cent cost efficient renewable power and produces aluminium ingots for the domestic and export markets.

The smelter was successfully restarted during FY22 after being on care and maintenance since 2015. Following the restart, first production was achieved in Q4 FY22.

You can find out more about our Brazil Alumina operations, which supply the smelter, here.


  • Christian Costa

    Vice President Brazil Alumina

    Christian has more than 21 years of experience working with BHP and South32, with roles across finance, commercial and business development in Brazil, Holland, the United States of America, Australia and Colombia.

    He holds a Bachelor of Science in Industrial Engineering from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and a Master of Business Administration from Duke University in the United States.