• GEMCO
  • GEMCO
     

GEMCO

Groote Eylandt Mining Company (GEMCO) is a manganese mining operation located in the Northern Territory, Australia. South32 owns 60 per cent of GEMCO and Anglo American Plc holds the remaining 40 per cent.

GEMCO is currently one of the largest and lowest-cost manganese ore producers in the world.

GEMCO is an open-cut strip mining operation, which includes crushing, screening, washing and dense media separation. It produces lump and fines products with a 4.8 Mtpa capacity (100 per cent basis). GEMCO produces high-grade ore and is located in close proximity to Asian export markets, with port facilities located only 16km from mining operations at Milner Bay.


History

GEMCO commenced mining at Groote Eylandt in 1964, under BHP ownership. A crushing and wet screening plant was subsequently commissioned.

The benefication plant was commissioned in 1972 at a 1.0 Mtpa capacity (100 per cent basis) and has since undergone a series of expansions. The most recent of these expansions was the GEMCO expansion project, which was completed in 2013 and increased GEMCO’s capacity from 4.2 Mtpa to 4.8 Mtpa (100 per cent basis) through the introduction of a dense media circuit by-pass facility. The expansion also addressed key infrastructure constraints by increasing road and port capacity to 5.9 Mtpa (100 per cent basis), creating 1.1 Mtpa of additional infrastructure capacity for future expansions.

The US$139 million Premium Concentrate Project (PC02) was approved in August 2014 and completed in FY2016. Production from the project has added flexible, low-cost capacity of up to 500,000 tonnes per annum to GEMCO’s large, high-grade operation on Groote Eylandt.

This capacity expansion was achieved by the construction of a standalone processing facility near the existing concentrator to produce a premium concentrate product for export sale. The expansion also involved an update to port infrastructure to handle the blending of premium concentrate with existing ore fines products.


Leadership


Rob Jackson - Vice President Operations, Cannington & GEMCO

Rob Jackson joined our Manganese business in 2008 and has managed the Company's global sales of manganese ore from Singapore and then Manganese Australia's business development, exploration, mid, long term and strategic planning. Rob holds a Bachelor of Engineering (Mining, First Class Honours), a Masters in Finance as well as a Mine Managers Certificate of Competency.


Community

777f-027-(2).jpgGroote Eylandt is the largest island in the Gulf of Carpentaria in Australia’s north and is home to the Warnindilyakwan people who are the traditional owners of the land and surrounding islands of the Groote Eylandt archipelago.

The land tenure on Groote Eylandt is Aboriginal freehold, held by a land trust under the terms of the Aboriginal Land rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976 (ALRA). The Anindilyakwa Land Council (ALC) is the statutory representative body for the Traditional Owners, as required by the ALRA. 

GEMCO focusses its community development in alignment with the ALC’s 15-year strategic plan, and funds large development projects which are driven by community leadership, and integrated with similar government and land council projects, to increase effectiveness.

The current development projects being implemented are targeting improved outcomes for community health, education, traditional owner culture, employment and diversification of the local economy.
 

Contact

GEMCO-LL-14092015-5-(1).jpg

gemco

Rowell Highway, Alyangula  
Groote Eylandt, 0885 
Northern Territory 
Australia
Phone: +61 8 8987 4444