South32 Marketing is responsible for the organisation’s sales, strategic raw material purchasing
and supply chain activities. These marketing activities include:
- Optimising the supply chain for delivery of commodities to both internal and external customers
- Working closely with the South32 Regions to maximise the value from the resource base and the market
- Through the insights gained via our equity sales, Marketing also generates incremental value for South32 through third party commodity sales and purchases
- Defining the company’s view of the markets and price
- Managing price, performance and credit risk
Management of South32 Marketing is based in Singapore, with offices in London to
support customers in Europe, the Middle East and Atlantic regions, and in South Africa and
Australia to service our domestic customers. South32’s marketing activities are geared towards:
- Identifying marketing and pricing opportunities using knowledge accumulated by South32 across the supply chain and various geographical locations in which it operates
- Taking advantage of the substantial financial resources and market and commodity knowledge accumulated within South32
- Efficiently managing logistics and handling of commodities from load point to customer
South32’s involvement as a producer, refiner and marketer of commodities allows it to minimise
costs and maximise returns across the supply chain. A fully integrated marketing function allows
South32 to deliver a differentiated sales proposition to its customers relative to other producers
and enables South32 to optimise its supply chain to meet customer needs.
Peter Finnimore, Head of Marketing
Peter was appointed Head of Marketing for South32 in May 2015. Peter comes with over 25 years of global experience in the field of logistics and marketing.
Before this appointment, Peter held various roles in BHP Billiton from 2008 to 2015. Peter joined BHP Billiton in 2008 in The Hague as Vice President Marketing Aluminium and then led the consolidation of the Aluminium and Stainless Steel Materials Marketing teams in August 2012. In 2013, he was appointed Vice President Marketing Aluminium, Manganese & Nickel based out of Singapore.
Peter started his career at Price Waterhouse and qualified as a Chartered Accountant in Brisbane, Australia before spending five years working in Japan for a Japanese lighting manufacturer in a range of corporate roles. On returning to Australia, Peter joined Coal & Allied (part of the Rio Tinto group) and held various management roles, including Business Analysis, IT and Logistics. He then transferred to Rio Tinto’s aluminium business, Comalco, in Brisbane where he managed North Asia sales for three years. Peter then spent five years with Rusal, based variously in Russia, Cyprus and Switzerland. For the majority of this time Peter was Rusal’s Sales Director.